Terms and Conditions of Use
By using this site, you accept the following agreement (the “Agreement”). If you do not accept this Agreement, do not use this site. This Agreement may be updated from time to time at the sole discretion of the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (“RAINN”).
I. Restrictions on Use
All content included on this site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, photographs, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software, is the property of RAINN or its content suppliers and is protected by United States and international copyright laws.
Except as otherwise indicated on this site, any person using this site is authorized to copy, print, or distribute any of its contents only as follows:
II. Prohibited Uses
RAINN is concerned with protecting the privacy of others and the security of data it collects and encourages responsible, lawful use of its resources. You agree not to use this website for any prohibited purpose. The following are examples of types of uses of the website that are prohibited:
1. Violations of Law. You are prohibited from using this website to commit or in connection with criminal or civil violations of federal, state, local, or international laws, regulations, or other governmental requirements, or to infringe the rights (including intellectual property, privacy and publicity rights) of any person. We reserve the right to report any activity that may violate any law or regulation to appropriate law enforcement officials, regulators or other third parties, and we may do so without prior notice to you.
2. Security Violations. You are prohibited from violating, or attempting to violate, the security of the website. Any such violations may result in criminal and civil liabilities to you. Examples of prohibited security violations include, but are not limited to: (a) logging into a server or account that you are not authorized to access; (b) accessing data or taking any action to obtain services not intended for you or your use; (c) attempting to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any system, subsystem or network related to the website; (d) tampering, hacking, modifying or otherwise corrupting or breaching security or authentication measures; (e) transmitting material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines or engines with the intent or effect of damaging, destroying, disrupting or otherwise impairing a computer’s functionality or the operation of the website; and (f) interfering with, intercepting or expropriating any system, data or information; or interfering with service to any user, host, or network including, but not limited to, by means of overloading, “flooding,” “mailbombing,” or “crashing” any system, subsystem or network related to the website.
3. Threats. You are prohibited from using this website to transmit materials of a threatening nature, including, but not limited to, threats of death or physical harm, abuse or harassment.
4. Offensive or Unlawful Materials. You are prohibited from using this website for the display or distribution of offensive or unlawful materials, including, but not limited to, materials that are libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, vulgar, or hateful, materials that violate the privacy, publicity or other personal rights of others, or materials that infringe, misappropriate, or otherwise violate the intellectual property rights (including copyright and trademark rights) of any person.
5. Spam. You are prohibited from using this website in connection with spam. Spam is not only annoying to other users, but it might also degrade the site by clogging the system, rendering the site inaccessible and potentially leading to downtime of the site. Spam includes, but is not limited to, any of the following activities: (a) sending any unsolicited e-mail that could be expected, in RAINN’s sole discretion, to provoke complaints; (b) sending unsolicited e-mail without identifying in the e-mail a clear and easy means to be excluded from receiving additional e-mail from the originator of the e-mail; and (c) sending e-mail that does not accurately identify the sender, the sender’s return address, and the e-mail address of origin.
6. Other Prohibited Conduct. You further agree that when using this site, you will not do any of the following: (a) post or upload to the site any content containing any solicitation; (b) download any content that you know, or reasonably should know, has not been lawfully posted or otherwise distributed; (c) falsify or delete any author attributions or proprietary or legal notices; (d) use another’s password without permission or impersonate another person; or (e) harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including e-mail addresses, without their consent.
We reserve the right to determine, in our sole discretion, whether you have used the site in a prohibited way. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the site and, if we become aware that the site is being used for a prohibited purpose (or an attempt has been made to do so), we reserve the right to take any action we deem appropriate. We may not notify you before we take action against you.
III. Copyright Notice
RAINN respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that any material on this website infringes your copyrights, you may notify us in the way identified below. When we receive such a notice, we may remove or disable access to the material claimed to be infringing and/or, in appropriate circumstances and at our discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who may infringe or repeatedly infringe the copyrights of others. If we remove or disable access to material in response to such a notice, we will make a good-faith attempt to contact the individual or entity who submitted the material so that that individual or entity may make a counter notification.
Pursuant to Section 512(c)(2) of the U.S. Copyright Act, as enacted through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, RAINN has designated an agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement. If you have any queries or complaints regarding copyright infringement, our designated contact is:
2000 L St. NW, Suite 406
Washington, DC 20036
To file a notice of copyright infringement with us, you must provide a written communication to the designated contact identified above, in which you do the following (preferably in this format):
2. Counter Notification
Pursuant to Section 512(c)(2) of the U.S. Copyright Act, as enacted through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, the provider of content affected by an infringement notification may make a counter notification. When we receive such a counter notification, we may reinstate the material in question or cease disabling access to it. To file a counter notification with us, you must provide a written communication to the designated contact identified above, in which you do the following (preferably in this format):
If you are writing about any other issue, please include details that would assist RAINN in investigating and resolving any concerns you may have.
NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT ONLINE HOTLINE®, NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT HOTLINE®, RAINN RAPE, ABUSE & INCEST NATIONAL NETWORK® and other marks displayed on this site are trademarks of RAINN. All other trademarks displayed on this site not owned by RAINN are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with RAINN.
V. Limitations of Liability
RAINN and its affiliates will not be liable for any damages or injury, including but not limited to special or consequential damages, that result from the use of (or the inability to use) this site and its contents, or a site linked to this site, including any damages or injury caused by any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay in operation, computer virus, line failure, or other computer malfunction.
VI. Linked Sites
This site may link to or be linked from other sites that are not maintained by RAINN. RAINN does not endorse, and is not responsible for the content of any of those sites.
If you communicate or submit any remarks, suggestions, ideas, graphics, photographs or other information or materials to RAINN through this site (“Submissions”), you give RAINN permission to use such Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you or anyone else. Unless RAINN expressly states to the contrary, RAINN will not be required to treat any Submission as confidential.
The material in this site may include technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. RAINN may make changes at any time.
THIS SITE IS PROVIDED BY RAINN ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. RAINN MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE OPERATION OF THIS SITE OR THE INFORMATION INCLUDED ON THIS SITE. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. RAINN DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION IN THIS SITE IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR CORRECT, THAT THIS SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION, OR THAT THE SITE IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
IX. International Use
RAINN makes no representation that materials on this site are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States. Access to this site from countries or territories where such access is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site outside the United States do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
X. Governing Law
You agree that your use of this site, this Agreement and any disputes relating thereto shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New York. Any dispute relating to this Agreement shall be resolved solely in the state or federal courts located in New York, N.Y. / Washington, D.C.